Friday 21 September 2012

Return to sender

Remember me? Yes I was the one who was blogging then abruptly stopped.
 
It was summer. We were busy with (very) occasional sunshine, holidays, children whooping it up (usually in opposite directions).
 
Plus there are some other reasons.
 
I have this sort of thing which is like a variation on post-traumatic stress. I don't want to write about it, certainly not here (which is my happy place), but it rears its ugly head every now and then and my life shrinks down to the very basics. Blogging is not a basic. And so I disappeared for a while, and climbed back up from the blip, and now I'm back again.
 
Also, I started blogging because, in my naivety, I thought it might be a route to getting my writing back up to scratch and getting published. Writing is embedded in my heart. I have to do it. And I also want to be read and paid for it. But in the blogging world I'm learning that that ship has passed. When the blogosphere was less crowded you really could get noticed this way, but now there are thousands upon thousands of blogs. Being so late to the party, I don't think it's going to pluck me from obscurity.
 
So when I stopped blogging, I found it hard to find the motivation again that sent me here, to my little obscure corner of blogland. I'm not naive enough any more.
 
I've decided to blow a raspberry at that original motivation. I just like writing. I hope you read it but it's got to be about the journey, the process of writing, rather than the end of getting published. Just because dreams don't usually come true, it doesn't mean you should stop dreaming.
 
So I've returned. Hello again. And it's an apt time, because September is known as the return month, the time the summer's frivolity is left behind and routines are returned to. I know winter comes at the end of the year but I think summer is the true end. Once that peak has been reached, we're all ready to turn the page and settle back into the earth.
 
I really, really love autumn. You're going to be hearing a lot about it on here soon!
 
Thanks for having me. x

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog via Domesticali and a comment you wrote there about being late to the blogging party. Me too. We will be fashionably late together ;)
    Kinda depressing though reading a friends FB status saying about blogging "never have so many, said so little, to so few" :(
    Like you I am reminding myself this isn't about numbers, popularity but about being creative. I ain't the most original and I'd be lying if I said what I read in blogs doesn't inspire me but its about what I enjoy and just recording it in my own way.

    Sorry for the looooooong post lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this lovely comment, oh the joy of finding someone else feeling the same! If it makes you feel any better, your comment sent me over to your blog and I liked what I found. :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming to visit. Oh you have something to say? Go on then...