Tuesday 21 July 2015

Weekly Baking: a summer berry tart with good intentions

I try to bake something every week. I don't always achieve it. There are after-school snacks to take care of, the occasional pudding, and those empty-tummy moments that seem to accompany my life working from home. I've been trying to bake more healthily, with Ella's book, the Hemsley sisters and Sarah's lovely book. Yes there have been the ubiquitous date balls, raw food brownies, and oat-banana cookies in my kitchen, just as you've seen all over the blogosphere. 

And then this last weekend, I just needed a good old-fashioned fat & sugar blow-out.

Nigella to the rescue!
Nigella Lawson's Easy Summer Berry Tart
This is Nigella's No Fuss Fruit Tart. Brownie point one (pardon the pun): it was so easy to make. Brownie point two: no unusual ingredients. Brownie point three: no oven involved. Brownie point four: it's absolutely delicious. And those berries: just look at those rich red to blue hues. You can't help but want slice after slice.
Nigella Lawson's Easy Summer Berry Tart
The down side is that I couldn't in good conscience give such a sugar/fat-fest to my young children twice a day. And my husband and eldest son are both on a pudding-free health kick (which means one slim slice only). And my very youngest Tiny One, who is the lone picky eater in a family of adventurous eaters (I can't even begin to tell you how draining it can be), didn't like it.

Conclusion: make it for a dinner party, or a big family gathering, or friends for a barbecue. It's so easy, everyone will have a slice, and pretty much everyone will love it. 

Don't make it like I did, just for your family who mostly won't eat it. Otherwise you might end up eating about three-quarters of it all to yourself a week before going on holiday when you're supposed to be being good (swimming costume shame, blah blah).

Consider my wrists slapped. I'm back to the raw health food. Once I've polished off the last slice that is.
The Twinkle Diaries

10 comments:

  1. Can I have the last slice please!! LOL It looks very yummy!! I don't bake at all. I'm not good at it but after seeing that I fancy preparing one LOL. Thanks for sharing, xx #TwinklyTuesday

    A Moment With Franca
    http://www.amomentwithfranca.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Franca! Last slice went in an embarrassingly quick time. [hangs head in shame!]

      Delete
  2. It looks wonderful, I'd happily come and have a slice! I've always meant to try that Nigella recipe. I definitely think I'll give it a whirl now. I need to get better at trying some of the fancy healthy baking. I usually just stick to Victoria sandwiches, scones and fairy cakes as my boys tend to prefer these to 'fancy cakes'. If I make anything remotely different (like delicious lemon and poppyseed cake) then it does tend to get ignored and unfinished! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a good friend who makes scones at least once a week. I wish I could just knock them up without a moment's thought like she does!

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious. I currently bake about once a year (very impressed by you cooking most weeks), but might have to try this over the summer #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe doesn't actually need cooking so I think it's a perfect one for more occasional cooks. Try it!

      Delete
  4. Yum, yum, yum, yum. Raspberries were on sale this week, so I've been looking for an excuse. Thanks for linking with #TwinklyTuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberries need no excuse Sadia! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Oh, it does look so good, though! Not helpful to me if I'm trying to be healthy..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now trying some baking recipes from Anna Jones' 'A Modern Way to Eat' and they're just as yummy while significantly less guilt-inducing. (Except the caramel brownies. Don't try them Jocelyn or you'll buy the ingredients again a week later like I did despite knowing they're the sugariest thing in the book!)

      Delete

Thank you for coming to visit. Oh you have something to say? Go on then...